Thursday, March 6, 2008

Politics, and Christianity.

I've been thinking a bit about politics today, and I'm pretty sure that I don't know where I stand... at all. I've been thinking about all the pros and cons, abortion, war, etc. I don't even know what I have to say about those anymore. I know that my mom was for Ron Paul on different levels, but I've decided that I'm not going to just 'be for' anyone because my parents are. When I was 10 or 11, I was all caught up in 'politics', or whatever. I thought I actually had an opinion, what I really had was what I was being fed. (Not in offense to you Mom, or Dad) I've realized that I'm getting to the age where I need to start having my own opinions, not sharing them with someone else. I hate all of this political crap. Everyone throwing in your face about what you should want, or what you should do. It doesn't even make sense! I don't want to have a stand, I don't want any of this. I'm neither republican, nor democrat. I don't have any say. I hate it when people make jokes of the opposite party, it's like pretty much displaying their hatred for someone. Did you know that when you try and talk someone out of being a Republican, or Democrat, you're really making that person just hate their opposite party more? It's pointless! And so is holding signs, it's not making a difference. Christianity has really gotten me in a tangle these past few months, I haven't spoken to God in a while. All of this plastic cheese, this 'using God' as a pain reliever has just made me have great portions of hate for the label "Christian". It has made me want to have no part in it. If anything, I would call myself a believer... but so many of the same kind of people have used that too. I'm just so mentally confused. I want God in my life, but I constantly feel like I'm doing something wrong, and therefore, I feel like I don't deserve him at all. The best comfort I have experienced concerning this subject has been from my sister. I said to her "I don't feel like I have a right to be involved with God at all," and she said, "You don't, but that's the good part about God is that he's going to accept you anyway. He's not going to punish you for anything you do, he's just going to allow the result of your sin to take place in your life." I love her so much! But anyway, everything that has to do with any of this has totally mind-boggled me... so I don't know what to do.

5 comments:

Keet said...

Not only are you amazingly beautiful you are extremely intelligent as well! You also have a true heart and a gentle spirit and you will figure all this out in your own time. I look forward to your thoughts. Love you dearly and miss you terribly.
T.W.

Kate said...

Politics do stink sometimes, but when you smell something sweet, turn around and it'll be Jesus.

amatthews said...

No worries, if it makes you feel better, I'm 35 and I'm still utterly confused about both of those topics. There are so many contradictions, opinions and excuses that it can cause a persons head to spin. Most of the time I choose not to watch the news or read the paper, just so I can avoid all of this and not be influenced by anyone. Great post!

Stephanie said...

Great way to express yourself and honesty is the best way to go. I am not liking the label of Christian either to many terrible things are done under that claim, take this CA homeschool thing, those people are making a bad name for homeschooling and Christianity.
My political views are very Libertarian leaning, small government, low taxes, government stays out of our private lives, civil liberties and personal freedoms and responsibility for one's actions.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kaitlyn. Great to see you blogging. You are yet another talented Forsythe writer with your own special style.
You are so right - when people make fun of an opposite party, different religion or way of thinking it just makes people more defensive and less willing to hear a different point of view.
Once upon a time I would never have wanted to be called a Christian - the image I had of what a Christian was was not flattering, but in time, not only did I see that I had been wrong about that, I became one as well. But, it is just a name - like "believer" - like "American" - like "WalMart shopper :)" like anything there are always some that will taint the name, all you can do is be who you are - unashamed - and represent it the best that you can.
No one deserves a relationship with God, but that is what grace is all about.
Love you - hope all is well.